Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Hobbit

The Hobbit Where to start with the hobbit, where to start. I suppose if I were to give a synopsis or anything of the sort it would probably just turn into a second rate epic, to say the least. Tolkien is a literally a literary genius. Tolkien’s use of diction and vivid imagery provides the audiences to be swept into the story. When I picked up this book I couldn’t simply put it down, I just kept reading and reading waiting for another epic event to happen. The first few pages are a bit dry, but that’s only because the audience of today isn’t used to the style of writing but once you get passed it, the ride evens out and is smooth as butter. My favorite scene of the entire book, in my personal opinion, was the riddle game between Bilbo and Gollum. I felt that Bilbo’s luck came in at the clutch and his quick hobbit wits allowed him to make the best of the situation. And the moment when Bilbo allowed for Gollum to lead him right to the exit and Bilbo jumped right over him; I thought that was classic. Tolkien does an excellent job of showing how intelligent and rightly so Gandalf is. For instance, scratching the burglars signal on Bilbo’s door and of course the countless times Gandalf rescues the team; the trolls, the eagles, etc. I understand that the hobbit was originally supposed to be a single novel and was an epic meant for kids but I believe that it’s definitely a read for anyone and everyone. Lastly the hobbit seemed to be the perfect so called “prerequisite” or setup for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

P.S- The story setup of the Hobbit was pure genius. It was a nice progression of events from least epic to SMOGGG!

No comments:

Post a Comment